LETTER ARCHIVE

May 2023

 

Dear Friends,

The Important Book, by Margaret Wise Brown, is suitable for children as young as PreK and enjoyable for individuals up to 99+ years old. I thought about the book after being interviewed by a group of 5th graders a few weeks ago. The students arrived carrying clipboards, each with a small sheet of paper attached. The sheet contained four or five questions and a small area for taking notes. As I shared, one of the students was writing in that small area. I was sure she wasn't capturing what I was saying, and I asked at one point, "Do you want me to slow down? Do you need another sheet of paper?" she responded, "No, I'm OK." A few days later, the advisor for the group sent me what the students had written. She asked me if I'd like to do any editing. As I'd suspected, much of what I'd said was missing. And then I thought, from their perspective, they'd gotten it just right - hence, the message of The Important Book. When they asked me what I liked about Northville, I'd talked about the school, the students, the teachers, the town, the people, and our new home. There are so many things I love about Northville I'd shared. They wrote just four words, "She likes the kids." That's it. Now, isn't that the most important thing? I decided I would not make edits. So when you see that sentence in the Elementary School Yearbook, please know that I also like all of you and everything about the Village of Northville.

As always,  this newsletter shares just a sampling of the incredible work our staff does every day. They're dedicated to creating vibrant learning environments focusing on academics and well-being in support of our students.

Career Sharing: Ms. Thomarie invited John Pertell, a Northville Graduate, to speak with our 7th graders. "Mr. Pertell shared an awesome overview of IT, cyber security, software development jobs, and careers." John works as an intern with Lauren Luckert (IT).



Animal and Insect Research: Enjoy the research writing of our youngest learners!
Click the links below to view...

Ms. Bevington's Class - Stories from the Holocaust: We aimed to learn more about the Holocaust and put it all together. We each started with an artifact and predicted what it was - We learned more about our artifacts and shared using PowerPoint, videos, text, and images. Finally, we shared our projects with the class. Enjoy a few of the presentations. Ms. Bevington's students also made a quilt that we gave to Ms. Ruth Mendel, who shared her experience of the Holocaust with our school, thanks to Mr. Karbowski. See the Leader-Herald article about her visit

Listen to a Sampling of Student Presentations Below
(Note: These students volunteered to share for my newsletter.)

Links:  Zachery Bradford ~ Logan Hammons Natalie Southworth  ~ Bryce Tabor

Pop-Up Art Show: Thank you, Ms. Sedon, Mrs. Flanders, and our talented student artists, for sharing your beautiful, creative artwork. 




Prom Highlights:
 My husband, Steve, and I had a wonderful time at the prom and after-party. We attended my prom many years ago when I was 17, and Steve was 19. The venue at Oak Mountain was a perfect setting. The food was delicious - mac and cheese with all the fixings and a make-your-own-sundae bar. Once the music started, the dancing continued for the rest of the evening, thanks to Mr. Schuyler, who never took a break! And we even got a couple of slow dances in! One dance of the evening, Footloose, of course! 


Congratulations: Congratulations to Mr. Penisten & Rosa Derstine on being recognized as part of CASDA's 37th Annual Capital Region Students & Teachers Who Make Difference!! CASDA Link


Annual Trout Release: Mr. Hammon's class participated in the yearly Trout Release. Enjoy the beautiful pictures taken by Mr. DeGeorge.



Tube Zentangle ... So many amazing art projects in the works!


If you would like to meet with me in person or virtually, just email or call to schedule a time during the school day or after your work day. 

Be sure to visit our website to keep up with district news https://www.northvillecsd.org/.

And thank you for supporting the Northville CSD budget!


Dr. Sarah A. Chauncey, DPS-IM
Superintendent of Schools
schauncey@northvillecsd.org
Work: 518-863-7000 x4120
Cell: 845-304-8791