LETTER ARCHIVE

September 2025

Dear Friends,

While organizing in late August, Ms. Angus found some historical artifacts gathering dust on a shelf. These framed documents are much more than archival curiosities; they tell the story of Northville Central School District. In 1910, Northville CSD officially came into being as a combined secondary school serving grades 7 through 12, formalizing what had long been a growing institution.

Discovering these photos sparked a personal history quest. I recalled the images displayed on the walls of the Board Room—photographs that capture Northville and its surrounding landscape before the creation of the Great Sacandaga Lake in the 1930s, when the valley was flooded and forever transformed.

I decided to do a bit more with these images, so I turned to artificial intelligence (AI) tools. With their help, I was able to enhance the photographs and even animate one of the figures seated at a picnic table—bringing the character to life to share the stories hidden behind the pictures. Here is the final product. A bulletin board with the display is outside my office. Enjoy the video below.



We've started a History Showcase where staff are invited to share their stories. 
  • Meet Ms. Blowers' great-grandfather - See the Video at this LINK.
  • Ms. Sedon shared pictures that honor her Great Uncle Harry Drake - See the Video at this LINK.
If you are a staff member or community member who would like to see your story come to life, let Dr. Chauncey know!

This year, we will begin the careful process of polishing the class photos that line our school’s hallways. Together, these portraits tell the story of Northville’s generations, stretching back to the 1930s and continuing all the way through the graduating class of 2025.


From Mrs. Pratt's Bulletin Board

THE POWER OF WORDS

Words play a role in shaping who we are, lifting us up or weighing us down. We all remember the voices that told us we could, and the ones that told us we couldn’t. Negative words stick, even when they are outnumbered by positives. Yet time and again, people rise above them: the student once told he wasn’t “college material” who earned an advanced degree, the girl who was told she’d never make the team who went on to play Division I sports.

Expectations matter too. We set the bar high, but we stay realistic and supportive. At five feet tall, I knew I was never going to be a star basketball player—but that didn’t stop me from finding other places to shine. And when work falls short, our message is clear: with effort and support, improvement is always possible. In our school, words and expectations are tools for growth. We choose words that open doors, not close them—and we remind each other every day of the power we have to lift, encourage, and inspire.



GREAT THINGS ARE HAPPENING



CONGRATULATIONS MR. CLAPPER & BOYS VARSITY SOCCER TEAM



MEET OUR NEW STAFF

Mr. Ron DeCarr ~ Math Teacher & Varsity Girls Basketball Coach
Originally from upstate New York, Mr. DeCarr returns home after spending their teaching and coaching career in Memphis, TN. Outside the classroom and off the court, they’re passionate about working with animals and have a special love for rescuing dogs. Mr. DeCarr's preferred teaching style is "Organized Chaos: Passion with a Purpose."

Here’s what I’m seeing from my first few days with our students. I’ve been using quick, targeted questions and short sample problems to check where each class is with skills and content. Over the weekend, I’ll review what I’ve gathered so I can tailor the upcoming lessons. Why does this matter? My goal is to meet students where they are and help them grow to where they need to be, both as individuals and as classes. I’ll add this, too: these kids are willing to work. That mindset, being engaged, practicing, and seeing themselves as learners, is the single most important driver of their success.


Kobe Cox - Earth Science Teacher

Mr. Cox is a recent graduate of Lipscomb University’s Environmental and Sustainability Sciences program, with an emphasis in Biology. As far back as my childhood, I’ve always held an appreciation for the world around us and how it works, and it has been deeply rewarding to study and turn this appreciation into my lifelong mission.

So far, this has been a fulfilling experience getting to know our students.  The sense of community among the students, and the chance I’ve had to get to know them, have stood out. I’m enjoying the work on curriculum development. Our students tell us what interests them, which makes this work easier. I’m feeling more a part of the staff, everyone has been helpful, and I’m hugely appreciative. When I got my ID card, I was excited, and swiping the card felt like belonging. It feels good to be back in Northville; memories are flowing back, and it feels good to be making new memories while remembering older ones.


Melissa Miles - .6 Math Teacher

Ms. Miles just finished her 32nd year of teaching in the GJSD. Being a teacher has been her lifelong career, and I can't think of anything better. I am an avid NY Yankee fan, even when they aren’t as great as they were when O’Neill was there. In my spare time, I love to sit by the lake with a good book or some great music. I’m looking forward to the school year as well as planning for my daughter's wedding.

I spent some of my first few weeks at Northville reflecting on the differences between Northville and my time at Johnstown and learning the Northville way. So far, so good. I have to say that I have met some awesome people here. From the administration to the teachers and the students, I’ve had some great interactions already. All in all, this has been a great two weeks for me. I really enjoy being here, and I hope to impact the students as much as they have already impacted me.


Rachel Germain - Kindergarten Long-Term Sub

I graduated from SUNY Oneonta with a Bachelor's in Early Childhood/Childhood Education in 2023. I earned my Master's in Higher Education Administration this past May. This will be my first year teaching! I currently reside in Galway, NY, and enjoy going on cruises every summer. I look forward to working at Northville this year and getting to know everyone!

I’ve felt extremely supported by our staff. My aides have been especially helpful; their experience, ideas, and gentle reminders keep me on track. I’m enjoying working with the younger children and adapting to their needs; different students need different supports. For our youngest learners, we use visual charts and build in brain breaks; the “wiggle dance” is a favorite, and the children now request it. Less is more. We’re working on counting, sound identification as part of our early reading program, and prewriting skills like drawing, starting lines, and curves. We also practice managing materials (glue sticks, scissors, etc.), and I try to do read-alouds every day.

Russ Gaffney ~ High School Special Education

Russ Gaffney comes to us from  Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, where he worked at Bethlehem Area Vocational Technical School as Special Education Coordinator. Russ's family relocated to Northville after having a camp here for many years. He loves the outdoors, hiking, fishing, and is a fan of the Chicago Bears. 


CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR STAFF WITH 20 & 30 YEARS OF SERVICE




585 MILE BIKE RIDE (TATR) - MS. THOMARIE
That’s The Adirondack Trail Ride (TATR, pronounced tater), a comprehensive tour of the Adirondack Park that begins and ends in Northville. “For TATR’s grand depart, students from Northville Central School line the streets to cheer the riders on. Spanish teacher Shannon Thomarie first organized the send-off in 2018. Teachers utilize the race to teach geography, history, math, and even science. Thomarie supplies cowbells, clappers, and maracas. ‘The kids are very interested in tracking the riders and their little dots [from the GPS trackers], and they’re learning the names of places, the lakes, and how big the park is.’” (Source)

SOCIAL MEDIA WORKSHOP FOR FAMILIES & COMMUNITY- Oct 21, 2025 ~ 6 pm

On October 21, 2025, at 6:00 p.m., we will present our first Social Media Workshop for families and the community, focusing on middle and high school students. It will be helpful to all who are interested! Join us in the Library Media Center.


ALUMNI SIGN-UP FORM

We Have 22 Responses So Far!! Let’s Keep it Going! Northville CSD is building an alumni database to celebrate your accomplishments, strengthen connections, and open new opportunities for engagement with our students and community. We'd love to hear from you, whether you're just starting or well into your career! Please take a few minutes to complete this form and share your journey with us. Your story matters—and it might inspire the next generation of Falcons! Please complete this form to become part of our database. Your information will not be shared; it will only be used to support our alumni efforts as described above! LINK TO FORM or scan the QR Code with your phone.

WE ARE HIRING!


TELHEALTH SERVICES ~ MS. RENNER

NCS will offer telehealth services to students and staff through Albany Medical Center for the 2025-26 school year. We are excited and hopeful that this partnership will help alleviate some of the stress that often arises when a child needs medical care. Not only will our students have this service available during the school day, but it can also be utilized at home by anyone, adults included! Please see the informational flyer and pre-registration form. A QR code is also included on the flyer and below if you wish to complete online registration. We strongly urge pre-registration so that care can be expedited, but please be assured that your child will never be seen by a telehealth provider without obtaining your consent first (every time). The Albany Med team will be at Open House on 09/16 at 6:30pm to offer insight and assist with registration. We hope many of our students take advantage of this excellent service!



Ms. Fitzgerald posts to Northville CSD Parent Square daily to inform us about the numerous events that make our school and extended community such vibrant, welcoming spaces. Her efforts are essential to maintaining our strong sense of community. Also, be sure to check out our Facebook and Instagram pages.

We're always eager to support organizations contributing to our community's well-being. If you're involved with a community event you'd like us to promote, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're happy to help spread the word. 


If you would like to meet with me in person or virtually, just email or call to schedule a time during the school day or after your workday. 

Be sure to visit our website to keep up with district news: https://www.northvillecsd.org/.

Superintendent of Schools
schauncey@northvillecsd.org
Work: 518-863-7000 x4120
Cell: 845-304-8791